Friday, July 1, 2011

The evil onion has many liars.

I'm spending so much time with the onions I now have conversations with them to get to know them better.  I also dumped a few onions today on my own accord after watching on Youtube last night that a fresh onion should feel heavy. Intern power!

Hand-cut onion rings are a big-time favourite in this restaurant and I can see why - so much love goes into this dish here! The outer rings are soaked in milk and water overnight before they are tenderly powdered with sieved flour flavored with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Each ring is carefully inspected at various stages of the process and the sous chef is particular about the final product before it makes it to the dining table. He showed me some poor quality ones today and junked them without the least hesitation. He has also encouraged me to taste whatever comes my way - how's that for a job? Part of being a chef is always tasting your food every step of the way.


The garlic complained to the onion, "You stink!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I want to know.