Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Word of the Week: Rotisserie

My home rotisserie. Too lazy to cover the wings with foil resulting in uneven cooking.
I later learned to truss a chicken and the roasting was much more even.
Pronounced "roh-tis-uh-ree", this can be a noun or a verb. As a noun, it means a machine with a rotating, motor-driven solid rod used to hold meat over a fire. As a verb, it means the technique of roasting a meat which is skewered on the rotisserie machine. Like a BBQ skewer. This method is generally used for cooking large joints of meat or entire animals such as turkeys. The rotation cooks the meat evenly in its own juices.

My Brandt oven comes with a rotisserie function. It sounded very complex and complicated to me when the Brandt man came to our house to explain its usage upon purchase. But when I actually tried using it, it was rather simple and the results rewarding and worth the effort trying and learning. I also insert a tray of vegetables with some sea salt and ground pepper to catch the melting fats and then I get 2 dishes for the same amount of effort. 

As the sous chef for today, I had to read and explain this to the class. Before introducing them to the new term, I asked if they remembered last week's Word of the Week. No one did. So I revisited that lesson and told them I have tried it and the barded chicken was amazing. At break time, somebody came up to me and said he is so going to try it now. He said he didn't catch it the first time.

Then, I introduced rotisserie. The dear aunties in the class were wondering if it had anything to do with "roti" (bread). I thought the best way to explain to them was to refer them to the grilled chicken wings you find in the Singapore hawker centers. Then they went, "Orh!" I am learning auntie language.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I want to know.