Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Her father's Warm Apple Cake


I mentioned last week that I got this recipe from an American chef in the Culinary Institute of America in Singapore. She named it, My father's Warm Apple Cake. A quick look around the kitchen and I realised I have all the ingredients in the recipe. I like recipes like that - no special ingredients to buy, just things you can find around the house.

The method is also fairly straightforward - mix all the dry ingredients. Then mix all the wet together and bake it. No sieving, no melting, no proofing, no frosting (unless you prefer). Serve with a dollop of vanilla ice cream you get at the stores.

Recipe and method below.

I was told it's usual and expected for oil cakes to dome like mine here. I actually enjoy seeing the top crumble.


Ingredients


Chopped apples 330g (I used 3 Granny Smith and did not even bother to peel them!)
Plain flour 450g (Ran out of plain after measuring out 350g and topped up with self raising flour!)
Sugar 420g (Way too much for my taste. I used 300g. Will try 250g next time round.)
Baking soda 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder 2 tsp
Vanilla extract 2 tsp (I used vanilla pods I bought recently in Bali)
Eggs 135g (I used 3 small eggs)
Canola oil 320g (Ran out of canola and mixed it with EVOO, tsk tsk)
Walnuts & pecans 1 cup

Method (only 2 steps)
1. Using the well method, mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.

2. Bake in oiled ring mould at 300F/170C for 60 minutes or until golden brown.

How I would do it differently next time round
1. The batter was still wet after 60 min when tested with a wooden stick so I gave it another few minutes. But if you think about it, there is no such thing as an uncooked apple cake since all the ingredients can be eaten as they are! I remember the one I ate at the CIA was super moist. So the next time round, I would not even test with the stick and simply remove it when the time is up or when it turns golden brown. It should taste better. Who would like to try my next improved version warmapplecake2.0 ?

2. The aroma coming out of the oven was supremely divine after 30 minutes of baking. I would time it to the arrival of my guests next time round!

3. I would serve it with a warm vanilla sauce - another level of divinity.

Verdict: forget the usual boring apple crumble or apple pie. Apple cake is da' bomb! Cakes with nuts and fruits are so much more of my favs than those with heavy icing. I guess that's why I have till now not attempted any of those pretty cup cakes, against the wise sagely advice of all the teenagers in my life.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I want to know.