Friday, March 9, 2012

Word of the Week: Mezzaluna

This double blade knife rocks!

Meet my first Mezzaluna, bought more than a year ago in an obscure corner of a shopping mall in Kuala Lumpur. Yes, Malaysia Boleh!

Meaning "Half moon" in Italian, the Mezzaluna consists of a rounded blade with 2 handles on each end. Some people call it a herb chopper.

My chef at-Sunrice taught me that a rocking motion is gentle on the herbs, preserving its essence and extends its shelf life.

I've enjoyed the use of this elegant tool since my purchase, although I sometimes wonder if it's an insult to chefs with good knifing skills. It also runs the danger of being in the "useless tools" category since a normal knife can quite do the job if you can just execute a proper chiffonade.

Today, I'm chopping some fresh dill for my salmon gravlax. I can't wait to serve my guests in my second private dining event tomorrow.

For more Word of the Week, click here.

To share post, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I want to know.