Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Word of the Week: Vanilla


There's nothing plain about vanilla. It is the second most expensive spice after saffron, because growing the seed pods is labour-intensive. It has a complex floral aroma and is highly priced for its flavour. It is widely used in commercial and home baking, in perfumes and in aromatherapy.

In my recent trip to Bali, I picked these up from the local spice market. They smell awesome - I mean, to come home to a luggage smelling of vanilla instead of the usual dirty laundry or airplane smell is quite something of a new experience. I have since used them in a bun pudding as well as in the apple cake I baked last night.


Baking with something straight out of a plant beats any type of essence, pure, natural or artificial, no matter how highly you may esteem them.


See last week's Word of the Week.

1 comment:

  1. it smells good

    Please visit my blog
    Just FYI, there’s an event for bloggers and the prizes are iPad2 and Cash. Find the info here. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. I want to know.