Tuesday, April 10, 2012

BBQ Pork Ribs


I saw the chefs make this at the social enterprise I volunteered at. This is a monkey-see-monkey-do dish, together with the home-made BBQ sauce. I was happy with it overall. It's finger-licking good and sticky to the lips. And I didn't overcook it! Plus there were family members who came back for a second helping (bless their hearts and appetites).

The butcher convinced me that this slab of pork rib weighing 1.6 kg is perfect for my roast. It cost me S$28, and the butcher and his wife looked too happy too long. He made deep lashes in between the ribs   - all the better for the flavours to penetrate, he muttered.


I decided I would boil it for 10-15 minutes so as to minimise the time in the oven and prevent overcooking. 


Then I glazed it with the BBQ sauce I made while it was boiling, double wrapped it in aluminium foil and popped into a preheated oven at 200C.


This was what greeted me after 50 minutes, plus the caramelized sauce filled the air in the kitchen. I inserted my meat thermometer, and yanked the baby out of the oven when it read 70C, a safe temperature for pork.


I didn't get meat that fell off the bones, but it was moist and juicy and very flavorful. I considered if putting it back for another few minutes might get me to Uto-pork-pia but decided that I didn't want to risk a dry rib.



Recipe for sauce for BBQ Pork Rib 1.6 kg
Whatever herbs or spices you want to clear from your cabinet! 
Or you can try the following like I did.

Tomato Sauce 2 TBSP (I used tomato ketchup)
Apple Cider Vinegar 2 Tbsp
Kicap Manis 2 Tbsp (I used dark soya sauce)
LP Sauce 2 Tbsp (I used Worchester sauce)
Brown Sugar 2 Tbsp
Honey 2 Tbsp
Garlic Powder 1 tsp (I used chopped garlic 2 tsp)
Onion Powder 1 tsp (I didn't use)
Chilli Flakes, to taste (I used 2 Tbsp chilli powder)
Cinnamon Stick, one
White Pepper
Black Pepper
Water as needed

Did you notice there's no salt in this recipe?

This is the consistency you want to achieve in your BBQ sauce - thanks to a chef at-Sunrice who taught me this.  


Method

1. Make deep lashes in between each pork rib without cutting through.
2. Boil in salted water for 15 minutes
3. Meanwhile, make BBQ sauce as per recipe and add whatever is about to expire in your cabinet
4. Remove ribs from water, discard water, pat dry the meat
5. Lay aluminium foil in a roast pan.
6. Place rib, fat side down, in the roast pan and glaze with the sauce. 
7. Cover fully and tightly and place in a preheated oven at 200C for about 50 minutes. 
8. Check after 30 minutes and you can add another layer of glaze if preferred.
9. In the last 10 minutes, open the aluminium foil to expose the meat directly to the heat in the oven.
10. Watch carefully so meat does not overcook and become dry. 
11. Remove and rest for 10 minutes before cutting.
12. Slice and serve individual ribs. Enjoy this finger-licking good cut. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I want to know.