Saturday, June 2, 2012

Basmati Rice with Grated Coconut


This is what I packed for this week's Vegan lunch with the girls - Basmati Rice with Grated Coconut. This dish was inspired by my recent success in utilising the rice cooker to make a one-pot Hainanese Chicken Rice. I thought about what else I could do using just the rice cooker. So, out of curiosity, I tried this dish today, using a method very similar to how I made the Chicken Rice.

2 Tbsp of oil in a heated rice cooker, followed closely by a cinnamon stick, one star anise and a clove (instead of the shallot-ginger-garlic combo). I replaced jasmine rice with basmati. It requires a pre-soak - don't skip this step as I did.

Again, I got soft fluffy rice and maintained the integrity of each grain whole. And that's it, you can stop right there and serve with any vegetable or meat dish.


Just for experimental purposes, I ventured further, adding roasted cashew nuts, grated coconut and raisins, gave it a quick fry over high heat on a non-stick pan, then laid them out on a pile of baby spinach.

My friends seemed to enjoy it more than I did - maybe they were just being polite, but then again, knowing these friends, they wouldn't have bothered to be cordial if it sucked. I did not go ga-ga over it because I felt I lost some moisture after the stir fry, and the grated coconut worked my jaws hard. I've been told recently it's good to work your jaws as food these days are way too processed and artificially tenderised.

Well, try it for yourself and let me know if you can help me improve this dish.


Check out my previous Vegan lunch contributions -

- My Pretty Ratatouille

- Sunshine Salad

12 comments:

  1. sounds interesting, I like dishes with rice so one day I have to try

    Blog about life and travelling
    Blog about cooking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ola, do let me know if you try this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Luan, I think the usual method of shallot-ginger-garlic tastes better. After the rice is cooked, add your cashew nuts and grated coconut, not necessary to stir fry. This is from my experience cooking nasi minyak, which will be featured in my post in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, shall try that the next time round. Thanks for the tip. Keep them coming.

      Delete
    2. Now I remember why I wanted them stir-fried. I wanted "wok-hei" -http://extravirginchef.blogspot.sg/2011/08/achieving-my-wok-hei.html

      Delete
    3. Hhhhmmmm...wok hei doesn't seem to go with this, not that I am expert. Add some ghee to your oil to give it that special aroma (if you are ok with ghee or add butter).

      Delete
  4. Hi Luan, love the idea of using the rice cooker to cook this! I always had the impression that it's quite messy and tedious to make, but now it sounds totally doable. Thanks - I will try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther, delighted to know you. Hope you're enjoying your SAHM days.

      Delete
  5. Yum!! I do love the addition of the grated coconut. Do you toast the coconut first? Or would that make it even more chewy? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ping, I love coconuts in any form! I did toast them first although I was told later there's no need to if I'm already stir frying the rice. That is to say, if they're already toasted, just add to the rice.

      Delete
  6. sorry, i hvnt tried cooking basmathi rice..are you saying that we need to soak the rice first before cooking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena, yes, soak the rice before cooking. I've seen many basmati rice recipe saying to do that, and many of my Indian friends tell me the same thing.

      Delete

Tell me what you think. I want to know.