|Photo credit - Oops, I got it somewhere from Google Images. Apologies for not attributing to the proper source.|
After my last post on a Banana Yoghurt Coconut Cupcake, a friend called and said it looks lovely but she wanted to know the difference between a muffin and a cupcake. I've asked this question before and was told a cupcake is essentially a cake, which doesn't enlighten quite enough, so I'm posing this question again.
I searched the internet again, and these are some of the responses I found:
1. A muffin is just a confused cupcake.
2. A muffin is an ugly cupcake.
3. A cupcake is a muffin with a fancy hat.
4. A muffin is a healthier cupcake.
5. Muffin is to bread what cupcake is to cake.
6. I called my wife "Cupcake" when she was younger. Now I call her "Muffin".
7. If you throw a muffin onto the wall, you will hear "Thud". If you throw a cupcake, you hear "Pouf"
8. Muffins are heavier and denser. Cupcakes are lighter and fluffier.
9. A muffin is a quick bread.
10. A cupcake is a cake that is cupped.
11. Ingredients are similar but mixing method is different. With muffins, you prepare all the dry ingredients separately from all the wet, then mix. For cupcakes, you do the butter-sugar mixing method and work towards a cake batter.
I remain confused. Anyone out there can provide a definitive, absolute answer that clears all doubts?